As the name suggests, a domain name is your unique identity on the internet. No two individuals or organizations can have the same domain name. If you’re running an online business, your domain-name becomes your brand on the internet. In fact, it can also be used as an online business card. A nice domain-name gives your website or email address a professional look.
Basically, a domain-name can be referred to as an addressing construct. Domain-names can identify and find computers on the internet. Every computer uses Internet Protocol (IP) addresses to use the internet. An IP address is a series of numbers, which are used to identify computers on the internet.
However, it can be hard to memorize and remember IP addresses. As a result, domain names were developed so that people could easily remember words and phrases. Instead of numerical IP addresses, people started using easy to remember domain-names.
How To Register For A Domain Name?
You can register for a domain-name in two different ways. First, you can register for a domain-name yourself. This can be tiring and time-consuming. Second, you can get your Internet Service Provider (ISP) or web host to do it for you.
If you want to register a domain-name yourself, you will have to choose a Registrar. A Registrar is a domain registration company, which has been accredited by ICANN. These days, you can find numerous Registrars on the internet. As a result, you can easily buy domain-names at affordable prices. Usually, you have to pay on an yearly basis.
As mentioned earlier, you can also get a web hosting company to get a domain-name registered for you. Many web hosting companies also offer domain registration services. A web hosting company registers your domain-name via their own approved registrar.
Registering a domain-name through a web hosting company offers many benefits. First of all, web hosting companies get domain-names registered on a regular basis. Therefore, they have everything ready at hand. Secondly, they save a lot of your time and energy. Moreover, you don’t have to deal with unfamiliar Registrars.
Choosing a Domain Name for Your Business
Almost every business needs a website to promote its products, and attract more customers. Getting a domain name is the first step to building a website. Once you have the domain-name for your website, you can start designing a functional website, and promote the business. Here’s some factors to consider while choosing a domain-name for your business :
- Stick with .Com – The Top Level Domain .Com is the most widely accepted extension used for domain-names. This extension is not only easy to remember, but the most common for all kinds of websites. When you ask a person to visit a website, he’s naturally going to think ‘yourbusinessname.com’. Therefore, if it’s possible, you should stick with a .Com extension for your domain-name.
- Consider Other Extensions – If you’re able to find a .Com extension for your business website, you should also consider picking up other extensions, including .Org, .Net, .US, .Info and more. You can park these specific domains to point stray visitors to your actual account.
- Keyword Rich – Even domain-names need to be search engine optimized to enhance your website’s visibility and reach. If people are already searching for something popular in your niche, using the keywords can bring more traffic to the website.
- Avoid Hyphens – Hyphens can easily make people lost. Moreover, they are also difficult to remember. If YourBusiness.Com has been taken, and you choose Your-Business.Com, it’s likely that you will lose a lot of customers to YourBusiness.Com. Therefore, you should avoid hyphens.
- Keep It Singular – Just like avoiding hyphens, it’s also important to avoid plurals. You should keep the domain name singular. If YourBusiness.Com has been taken, and you choose YourBusinesses.Com, it’s likely that you will send most traffic to YourBusiness.Com.
In order to make the most of your domain-name, you need to keep such factors in mind. While choosing a domain-name for your business, it’s important to spend some time on research. You should consider a lot of different things to make an informed choice. In case you have a business partner or an ally whom you can trust, you should brainstorm together to come up with a name.
If your website is going to be related to your business, it will be easily to find the name. You will just have to focus on other factors to optimize your domain name and enjoy various benefits. Some of these benefits have been discussed below.
- Trust-Building – The biggest drawback of running an online business is the lack of face to face communication. People often find it difficult to trust a company, which they have never dealt with. In such a situation, a self-explanatory and genuine domain name becomes a representation of your business.
- A domain-name can effectively communicate your goals, and everything about your business in a much sophisticated manner. Therefore, registering a good domain-name is very important for your business. The domain-name should contain your company’s name so that your visitors can relate to it.
- Easy Communication – As mentioned earlier, a domain-name gives a professional look to your business. Moreover, you can have multiple email addresses and have a positive impact on your clients and customers. Email addresses with your company’s domain-name look more professional than standard email addresses.
- Convenience – Unless you choose to get a longer domain-name, it gets easier for your customers to remember the name of your company. They exactly know where to find all the information they need. It is more convenient to remember simple words and phrases than memorizing long strings of numbers.
As a result, you become more accessible to your clients. This leads to additional traffic to your website. Another advantage is that it’s very easy to register a domain name that can give you a higher ranking in search engines.
Needless to say, domain names offer many other benefits. For instance, they increase search engine traffic to your website, provide easy accessibility, make advertising easier and so on. However, it’s important to understand that you need to hire the right web hosting company to register a domain-name. There are many web hosting companies, which offer registering services at affordable rates.